Pages

Wednesday 20 January 2016

Summer Learning Journey: Week 2, Day 6, Activity 2

For this activity I have written a recipe for Steak and Cheese pies.

INGREDIENTS

  • 800g Blade Steak
  • 1 Onion, diced
  • 2 Cloves Garlic, crushed
  • 150mls Beer, your favourite
  • 1/2 tsp Dried Thyme
  • 1 C Grated Cheese
  • 2 tbsp Olive Oil
  • 25g Seasoned Flour
  • Milk to Glaze
  • 200g Tomato Soup
  • 1 Bay Leaf
  • 150mls Beef Stock
  • 1 pkt Savoury Short Pastry, thawed
  • 125g Mushrooms ( optional )

METHOD

Heat the oil in a large saucepan and saute the garlic, onion and mushrooms for 1 minute.
Meanwhile, toss the Tenderbeef through the seasoned flour, then add to the oil.
Cook for 2-3 minutes until lightly browned, then add the next 9 filling ingredients.
Stir and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
When cooked and thick in consistency, spoon into a 1.8 litre pie dish and top with the cheese.
Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured bench to cover the pie dish plus an extra 5cm/2in.
Cut a 2.5cm/1in-wide strip from the outer edge and place onto the dampened rim of the dish.
Brush with milk, then cover with pastry lid. Press the edges to seal. Decorate with surplus pastry and brush with milk.
Bake at 200c for 40 minutes until golden.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Yum, Thomas, this recipe looks delicious! My son, Aronui, is a huge fan of mince and cheese pies and I bet that he would also love to eat a steak and cheese pie, as well. Do you personally like mince and cheese or steak and cheese pies?

I am really glad that you posted this recipe to your blog. It has inspired me to give it a try this week-end. I don't usually try new recipes during the week but I love to experiment in the kitchen on the week-ends.

Do you or anyone in your family enjoy cooking? I never truly appreciated how fun it could be until I moved away from home in my late teens and had to start cooking for myself. After a few years of eating canned beans and scrambled eggs I decided that I needed to branch out and try something new and I haven't looked back!

Thanks, again, for posting such a tasty looking recipe :)

Rachel

Post a Comment